In AON: Communication

**NOTE: This is a small piece of the complete lesson to give you a Taste of OXYGEN.

Discover More

Dr. Emerson Eggerichs is an internationally known public speaker on the topic of male-female relationships.  Based on over three decades of counseling as well as scientific and biblical research, he and his wife Sarah developed the Love and Respect Conference, which they present to live audiences around the country. Dr. Eggerichs has authored several books, including the national bestseller Love & Respect, and he is the Founder and President of Love and Respect Ministries. He and his wife have three grown children.



“We are more aware of negative things that trigger our partner and more open to seeing from each other’s point of view. We learned how to listen to each other, relate to how the other is feeling, and understand what they are trying to communicate.”

Willie & Courtney Watkins – Premium Members

Inside the Lesson

In this episode, Dr. Emerson Eggerichs—internationally known speaker on the topic of male/female relationships and author of the wildly popular book Love & Respect—investigates the two basic ingredients for a happy, successful marriage: love and respect. External problems are not the cause of marriage issues; in fact, at the heart of all marriage issues is a lack of love and respect. Most marriages experience the crazy cycle of miscommunication: a wife feels unloved, so she reacts disrespectfully; and a husband feels disrespected, so he reacts in an unloving way.

Everyone accepts the fact that love should be unconditional—that is, not based on what someone does or how lovable they are. In the same vein, respect should be given regardless of whether the other person deserves it. Being respectful towards your spouse means refusing to take aim at who he is as a person and, instead, recognizing that he is on his own journey of maturity and growth.

Due to the inherent communication differences between men and women, your marriage will never be free of the crazy cycle of miscommunication. Instead, focus on the 80/20 rule—80% of your marriage should be conflict-free, but expect lots of conflict in the other 20%. Relax, learn to roll with the punches, and realize the crazy cycle is normal sometimes—your marriage will be happier and healthier for it.


Not a member? Join today!

More from Dr. Eggerichs

More of this OXYGEN Show

Open each segment below to dig deeper into the content of this show and work toward strengthening your relationship.
Remember to mark each section “complete” to earn your points!

Your progress in this Area of Need


Leave a Comment

Contact Us

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.